Friday, August 21, 2026
21.2 C
London

Satwik-Chirag exit BWF Worlds after quarterfinal loss to Chinese 3rd seed | Other Sports News


India’s fifth-seeded men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty suffered heartbreak at the BWF World Championships 2026 on Friday as they went down 18-21, 9-21 against third seeds Liang Wei Keng and Wang Chang of China in the quarterfinals at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.


The defeat ended Satwik and Chirag’s hopes of adding another World Championships medal to their tally, having previously reached the semifinals in 2022 and 2025. Their exit also means India will finish the home edition with just one medal, secured by women’s doubles pair Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand after their quarterfinal victory earlier in the day.

 


Satwik-Chirag let opening game slip after taking lead


Satwik and Chirag, playing only their second match of the tournament after receiving a bye in the round of 64 and a walkover in the round of 32, made a slow start as Liang and Wang raced into a 3-0 lead.


The Indians responded with flat smashes to level the score at 5-5, only for the Chinese pair to switch to body-line shots and move 8-5 ahead. Satwik and Chirag quickly fought their way back to 8-8 before consecutive errors from Liang and Wang helped the Indians take an 11-10 lead into the mid-game interval.


The contest remained tight after the break, with Satwik and Chirag managing to stay ahead until the closing stages. Liang and Wang began keeping their shots lower and reduced the deficit before eventually moving 19-18 ahead.


The Indians then committed back-to-back errors as the Chinese pair took three straight points to close out the opening game 21-18.


Chirag felt their game plan had worked for most of the opener but said losing it from a strong position changed the direction of the match.


“The first game was very good. We were leading until 18, and I think the game plan we had set was working very well. But after we lost the first game, I think they came back much harder in the second game,” Chirag said.


Satwik said the battle for control in the opening exchanges of each rally had been crucial, particularly against a Chinese pair comfortable playing at a high pace.


“They like to play the faster game. They were very good in the first four shots. Whoever controlled the first four shots was winning. In the first game, we were controlling those exchanges, but they got confident after a few points,” Satwik said.


The Indians also found it difficult to finish rallies despite creating opportunities. Liang and Wang repeatedly absorbed their attacks before turning defensive positions into attacking ones.


“Their defence was also very good. In a lot of the points where we thought we would get a finish, we couldn’t. They were not just retrieving but also converting those balls into attack,” Chirag said. 


Chinese pair take complete control in second game


Liang and Wang carried that confidence into the second game, taking an early 3-1 lead before Satwik and Chirag responded to level the score at 3-3.


The match then began to move rapidly away from the Indians. The third seeds reeled off five consecutive points to move 8-3 ahead, repeatedly keeping the shuttle flat and denying Satwik and Chirag the opportunity to settle into their attacking game.


The Indians tried to respond with pickup shots, but Liang and Wang continued to control the exchanges at the net and took an 11-5 lead into the mid-game interval.


Satwik said the approach from the Chinese pair was different from what they had expected after studying their previous matches.


“Maybe we weren’t expecting that because they usually want to block and get the lift. Whenever we watched their match videos, they wanted to block and come forward because they are very good at attacking,” Satwik said.


“But today, they were playing all-around, just pushing again and again. It was difficult to lift from our side because we were on the second side and playing against the drift. It was difficult to control, but that’s how they play.”


Satwik and Chirag picked up back-to-back points immediately after the interval, but any hopes of a comeback were quickly halted as Liang and Wang responded with four straight points to stretch their advantage to 15-7.


The Indians managed their eighth point before the Chinese added another two. Satwik and Chirag picked up one more point, but Liang and Wang then reeled off four consecutive points to close out the second game 21-9.


Satwik said the Indians did manage to create attacking opportunities in the second game, but the Chinese pair’s defence and control of the front court prevented them from converting those chances.


“In the second game, it’s not that we didn’t get any lifts. We got quite a few, but we weren’t able to finish them as much as we would have wanted to,” he said.


“They were defending really well and also dominating the front court. Even when we were getting those lifts, we tried playing soft drops and then eventually killing the shuttle, but we weren’t able to convert those opportunities well.”


With Liang and Wang sealing the contest in straight games, Satwik and Chirag’s hopes of adding another World Championships medal came to an end.


“I think we were close to them, but we could have been a little tighter from our side. We’ll go back and learn from what we missed,” Satwik said.


The defeat also confirmed that India will finish the BWF World Championships 2026 with one medal, courtesy of Treesa and Gayatri’s run in the women’s doubles event.


 


 

Source link

Hot this week

Topics

spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img